Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tell Me Someting Tuesday #12

Tuesday, yet again!! So I guess that means you get to hear me rant in this weekly meme hosted by Cambria Hebert.

This week's question: Do you think YA books should have ratings?

Hmmm...this is a toughy, but after reading others' answers, I think I'm ready to write my own answer.
Before last week I'd never given any thought to rating for books. But since Cambria asked I have thought and will endeavor to answer.

So ratings for books, do I think they should have them? To be honest, no, I don't. Why? Well, let me explain.

I say, no, because I feel it unnecessary mark on the written work. In school, I was always peeved when I would get my report back that I had worked so hard on and that I had strived to keep in crisp condition, and it would have a big red letter grade in the top corner. Did they really have to put it there? I mean this was the final draft that was supposed to clean and crisp. But I digest...

Now before you get mad at me, let me say that even tough I don't think that they should have rating, I do believe that they should have a disclaimer saying if the book had sexual content, drug use, etc. I think this way, because I don't really like being told what I can and can't read, but a disclaimer when tell any concerned parent what kind of book it was.This I would appreciate as well, because my age range is young adult but I prefer not read books with sexual content and where doing drugs is accepted.

  In my own stories there is none of that, not even a single swear. There is one story of mine, the only non-fantasy one, that is about a drunk driving accident that causes the death of a young character. So I never portray drugs or alcohol is a good thing and stay away from any sexual content. So my stories might labeled as children's books.
So that's me and my strange opinion. Tell me, what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    A disclaimer on a book would be really helpful, at least then people could make informed decisions about what they read.

    Sometimes you can have a really good blurb on the back of a book, but it doesn't clue you up about content. I could never be told what to read growing up, but I think something brief and advisory on a book would be helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - disclaimer would be okay. I like YA books because there aren't gratuitous sex scenes, they are more about the love and friendship. I know that when I was part of the YA age range anything I was told not to read I immediately went out and bought. What can I say, I'm a rebel! And I know that there are kids out there just like I was.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A disclaimer or further categorization or ratings...anything that would help flag the sexual content and substance use, It is a sticky question for sure. I feel something else would be good but only if was used as a guideline...and that makes the whole thing tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I am late getting here, I was moving but I am here now and I think your answer is great not strange!
    A disclaimer inside the book makes sense if there is sexual conduct that way parents will be warmed.
    This whole topic can go a lot of different ways. I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer. But I enjoyed hearing everyone's thoughts!

    ReplyDelete